Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of
Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.
Opening Reception: Designing a Learning City
Cherry Street Pier , Philadelphia
Thursday 13 Oct 2022
05:00 PM - 7:00 PM
Sign up here
Join us for a cocktail reception celebrating the opening of the Designing a Learning City exhibition. This exhibition has been produced and curated by the Playful Learning Landscapes Actoin Network (PLLAN) and the Center for Architecture and Design team and made possible with the support of the William Penn Foundation.
About Designing a Learning City Exhibition:
Children spend only 20% of their waking time in school, and learning today occurs in and out of the classroom. What are we doing with the other 80%?
Let’s reimagine our cities and public spaces as playful learning opportunities for all learners.
By infusing our cities with playful learning opportunities, we can enhance children’s cognitive and social development, better preparing them for success in the 21st-century.
This exhibit is built upon the research supported by William Penn Foundation exploring Philadelphia’s Playful Learning Landscapes Initiative. A joint project of Temple University’s Infant and Child Laboratory and the Brookings Institution, Playful Learning Landscapes is a broad umbrella initiative that marries community involvement and learning sciences with placemaking in order to design carefully curated playful experiences in everyday spaces. As it focuses on learning outcomes, particularly for children and families from under-resourced communities, Playful Learning Landscapes offers a new way to involve families in the kinds of experiences that enrich relationships and enhance children’s development.
During this year's DesignPhiladelphia Festival -- we are asking designers:
How do you incorporate these learning opportunities into spaces that are not inherently designed for children?